CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 20, 2009

Gender Equality

Just recently, I joined the HSBC Public Speaking Competition... Well, it's my dream to go to London for the international level but I didn't make it to the national finals... at least I got in the semi-finals... but that's not the point. The point is I spoke on an interesting topic "Gender Equality".... did some research...... The following below are some quotes on the topic above
“I do not wish [women] to have power over men; but over themselves,” by Mary Wollstonecraft.
You don't have to be anti-man to be pro-woman,” by Jane Galvin Lewis.
“We have to free half of the human race, the women, so that they can help to free the other half,” by Emmeline Pankhurst.
“The test for whether or not you can hold a job should not be the arrangement of your chromosomes,” by Bella Abzug.
“When women thrive, all of society benefits, and succeeding generations are given a better start in life,” by Kofi Annan.
“The education and empowerment of women throughout the world cannot fail to result in a more caring, tolerant, just and peaceful life for all,” by Aung San Suu Kyi (1945 - ), Daw Burmese-Myanmarese dissident and politician; Leader of National League for Democracy, Nobel Peace Prize laureate
“Women have been taught that, for us, the earth is flat, and that if we venture out, we will fall off the edge,” by Unknown Author.
“The emotional, sexual, and psychological stereotyping of females begins when the doctor says, "It's a girl,” by Shirley Chisholm.
“Men are taught to apologize for their weaknesses, women for their strengths,” by Lois Wyse.
Well, the second paragraph of my speech went like that

Some of you are now wondering what am I, one of the male species, doing here in trying to promote gender equality. Let me explain, last week on the 8th of March, our world celebrated the International Women’s Day. “This year’s theme was ‘Women and men united to end violence against women and girls’. Well, here I am uniting hand in hand with the women to promote gender equality. I believe that women play an equally important role in the regeneration and renewal of our world.
So, I do promote gender equality...
but when it comes to public speaking and debates...
I believe that men are better !!!

0 comments: